May 3rd began as any other day. We went to breakfast at a local restaurant and as we were leaving, my midwife and her husband were coming in to eat. I told her that I had been having Braxton Hicks and she said that's to be expected and then I told her I was going to see her that week and hopefully we could get the ball rolling on getting this little one here. :) (Anna was due May 16th). To retro just a tad, I had seen a different midwife just a couple days before and they asked if I wanted to be checked and I said no because this particular one always hurts me so I figured I would schedule an appointment w/ the one I know best as well as the one that's always gentle. I had been having Braxton Hicks for weeks so thought I had time to wait until the next week. Boy, was I wrong!
So after breakfast, we went on about our typical day. We took care of our 3 boys (2 biological, 1 adopted) and did some cleaning. Later that evening we had a photo shoot to get some family shots as well as some of my pregnant belly. I waited until really late to schedule this shoot since our schedules had been so hectic, this was the only time I had to get them done. Our colors were blues and whites, however, I also had a beautiful black and gold dress I'd wear with some photos with just Gabe and I.
Around 6 pm, I began having some strong contractions but didn't know the difference between the contractions and Braxton Hicks due to I have a high pain tolerance. Our photo shoot wouldn't be until around 7 ish at a park not too far from our house. Once we arrived, we met our photographer began the shoot. I could tell the pain was becoming more intense but still wasn't sure it was actual contractions. Once we had all of the family photos done, I changed into the black and gold dress and began feeling intense pain lower than my belly. The Braxton Hicks had always been tension across my entire belly, not just pressure and pain low down. I told the photographer that I thought I was having contractions and even some of them almost brought me to tears, however, I was hell bent and determined to do that shoot. The photographer was AMAZING to say the least. She was very patient and didn't rush us at all. Of course, if we needed to stop, she understood but she knew just how badly I wanted these done.
When the shoot was over, I decided to drive us home. I know, sounds crazy but my husband makes me extremely nervous driving and thought if these were indeed contractions, I didn't want him driving because it may make the pain worse due to me being nervous. As we are driving down Mnt. Holly Huntersville Rd., the pain becomes extremely intense so we began timing them. They were coming every 3 minutes and lasting a minute each. I looked over at the CVS as we were at a light thinking I needed to stop for some Tylenol PM because I knew that's what my midwife would tell me to take but knew that there was no way I could stop and get those, I was in LABOR!!!
I thought a couple of times I was going to have to pull over but luckily, we made it home. As I got out of the car, I immediately began crying. My 12 year old, Tommy, was worried sick about me and kept asking what was wrong. Well, I didn't want to scare him so I told him it was because I had to cancel Matthew's 3rd birthday party the next day. The real reasons I was crying: 1-I had to cancel Matthew's 3rd birthday party the next day and he had been looking forward to it for days, 2-I was in extreme pain and 3-I knew there was no way I was getting an epidural.
Gabe had already contacted my Dr's office and was waiting on a call from my midwife. During this time, I went upstairs to take a warm bath. Tommy sat in the bathroom with me and was crying because he was so worried and my precious 3 year old was dropping Crayola color tabs into my bath water. I'll never forget I had yellow bath water from the color tab and he was wanting to drop another one in there but I insisted he didn't and saved it for later knowing I was about to get out of the tub. The water wasn't helping me AT ALL! I kept holding on to the side of the tub in pure agony! I managed to get myself out of the tub and could barely dry myself off and headed to my bed to collapse! Gabe walked in the room about that time on the phone w/ my midwife. I told him to tell her that I needed to push NOW!!! She knew I was in active labor and had Gabe call 911. He contacted 911 and while we were waiting for the EMS to arrive, they were guiding Gabe through delivering her. I still had no clothes on since the pain was so bad, I couldn't get dressed. Gabe said he needed to see if she was crowing and I yelled NO, that he wasn't delivering her. I would do whatever I needed to do so that I could make it to the hospital. At this point, I'm scared but hurt so bad that I could barely focus on anything. Gabe managed to get a gown on me and some underwear...this I don't actually remember. I do recall my bedroom being full of EMT's and firefighters. They brought up a chair to bring me down in but I insisted on walking in between contractions. I was able to get out of the bed and very slowly make it down the stairs saying fuck every couple of seconds. I heard Gabe snicker and thought I must have embarrassed him but later found out he thought it was funny. I cuss, but not normally around people I don't know so you know I was hurting. Ha!
Once down stairs, I walk outside and see the stretcher covered in what looked like an oversize yellow trash bag. That was for easy clean up. Right before getting onto the stretcher, my water broke. It scared me, I don't know why, it didn't hurt, maybe it was just the sound or I was afraid the pain would increase. With my other 2 boys, my water never broke, the Dr's had to break it for me. They all assured me that it was ok because I became a tad frantic. I get onto the stretcher and tell them they can't leave, she was coming right then. One of the firefighters told me to try not to push. Surely he was being sarcastic or just being a man that has no clue when a woman says she needs to push, her body takes over, there's nothing we can do about it. I repeated what he said back to him as though I was asking a question, surely he didn't mean that!
The EMT's told Gabe to load up the kids and get to the hospital, that we had time and I explained that we didn't. Gabe must have thought we did and headed to the hospital w/ the 3 boys. Once in the ambulance, I told my delivering EMT, Jason, that I needed to push. He said he needed to see if she was crowing but the pain made my knees lock, there was no seeing if she was crowning, not at that moment. Eventually, he was able to see and said she wasn't and within a couple seconds, said she was. I knew it was go time, I pushed twice and screamed on the last one and there she was, this beautiful baby angel! My baby girl was born in the back of an ambulance in front of my house weighing 5 lbs 5 ozs, 18 3/4 inches long at 8:53 pm. Not sure exactly why they didn't try to get to the hospital unless it was because of paper work. I was thinking Gabe was outside the ambulance and asked if they could let him see her and they said he was at the hospital! I didn't think much of it at the time because I was in awe of Anna! So I had them call him. At that point, we head to the hospital and I still haven't passed the placenta (sorry TMI), so by the time we arrive, Gabe meets me at the back of the ambulance and I'm in "active labor" pain again. I felt the same way I did during labor! Before the pains got so intense, I did get to talk to a couple of the EMT's. Jason is the one that delivered Anna, this was his very first delivery. Scottie was the one guiding Jason since he has done several deliveries and he was the supervisor. Both of them were extremely nice!
Ok, so once they get me out of the ambulance, we head to L&D (labor and delivery). We saw my sweet midwife and the rest of the nurses standing up as we arrived. It was strange but it was a nice welcome. I'm still in extreme pain and tell my midwife we need to do something asap and she took me back and within 5 minutes, all was well! No more pain! I also began nursing her once I was pain free. She did great! Our EMT's hung out with us for a little bit and we got a photo w/ them. After they left, we hung out w/ Kathy, my midwife, and got some photos w/ her and the kiddos. She was playing w/ Matthew, it was adorable! My mom was also there, we didn't have the chance to contact anyone else. I do know that my bestfriends were called by Gabe on the way to the hospital, Shayla and Stacy. Both thought Gabe was joking since he always picks but nope, Anna was really here.
The pluses of having natural child birth, I didn't have an epidural which I was nervous about since the last one got stuck in my back and I didn't have to get that stupid IV! I didn't even feel like I had a baby with natural childbirth. Those were the nice things about it and I hear you recoup faster which I am now over 7 weeks postpartum and believe it 100%.
So for the rest of the evening, I couldn't take my eyes off of her, here was my little girl. We actually had a GIRL!! We were now a family of 6...WOW, 3 boys and 1 girl. Gabe decided to leave and go home w/ the boys and my mom stayed for the 1st night. I kept her up talking to her about all night. LOL. I couldn't sleep, I was so excited to have my teeny tiny there!
The next day, Gabe came up with Tommy while my mom had went home and watched Matthew and Dylan. He spent about all day there with me and Anna. We didn't invite anyone else up since we wanted to spend some QT together getting to know our new addition. I chose to stay alone the 2nd night. With all of the kids, it was just too difficult to tote them back and forth and plus, I knew my mom was exhausted from me keeping her up the 1st night.
I believe it was the day I was discharged that we finally came up w/ Anna's name. We knew her name would be Anna but went back and forth between Annaleigh, Annalynn, and Analise and for the middle name either Sophia or Dawn. We finally chose her name....it would be Annaleigh Sophia! I believe it's BEAUTIFUL, so feminine and perfect for her!
BTW, I did reschedule Matthew's 3rd birthday for the next Saturday (the day before Mother's Day) since this was something I had mentioned early in the post. My sweet boy did get his party!
We are all still adjusting to having a family of 6. It's so crazy. We went from a family of 4 to a family of 6 within a year! Dylan isn't even a year yet!
Matthew struggles w/ some jealousy over Anna as well as with Dylan, Tommy loves on Anna constantly and Dylan thinks Anna is hilarious!!! As for me and Gabe...Gabe can't get enough of her and neither can I. I'm addicted to bows, really BIG bows. I'm even thinking about starting to make them since you can make them for 1/4 the price you pay for them. Maybe, we'll see...if I can ever find the time.
The only thing that I've struggled with is nursing. I've never had a perfect nurser, unfortunately, but insisted on breastfeeding. She did excellent in the beginning and then it seemed as though she wasn't latching as well. I went to the Nursing Mothers Place to get some additional help. When I went, she nursed perfectly without any help. I realized it isn't Anna, it's been me. With a house full of children, I seem to be rushing her to latch as well as feed so that I can tend to the others. When I'm relaxed and have lots of time, she does perfect. She has been my only child that has latched well, the boys never did. I actually went to the NMP with Matthew as well. That was a turn around point for us and I began loving to nurse after that visit.
As for Anna's story, we still keep in touch w/ the EMT's by text and I send pictures of her. They are both the nicest guys and I couldn't have asked for a better "ambulance" experience. Her story will be printed in their newsletter as well as their social media site.
This is my last little one which is bittersweet. I have so many emotional moments realizing this is it, all of my dreams have came true! We have 2 biological boys, we got to adopt a newborn baby boy and then I had a girl! I was talking to the lactation lady the other day and she said when she knew she had all she wanted, I told her that I don't know if I'll ever feel that way. I still feel like I could have a few more. I'm sure it all goes back to the 7 years that I tried w/ no success. I don't know if I'll ever feel as though my family is complete, I may always wonder....what if? Hopefully, it's just a little bit of postpartum blues.
There's this story that reminds me of exactly how I've been feeling. I cherish every little moment w/ her even those late night/middle of the morning feedings. I know this is it, this will be the last time I do this, it will be the last time I walk down baby aisles looking for newborn diapers for my new baby. Speaking of, she's already 7 lbs 12 ozs and is 1 diapers. That's how fast "the last one" goes, they grow that quickly. Her huge newborn outfits are now fitting her and some of her smaller outfits, she's already outgrown. BE STILL MY HEART!!!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lindsay-ferrier/the-last-one_b_5086325.html
A look into our lives






























No comments:
Post a Comment