Today was the last day of CNA classes and our last day w/ the residents doing clinical. It was a crazy morning. Our instructor said we would work through lunch because there was so much to be done. Well, when we got there, we didn't do anything for about the first hour. There was a man taking a looooong shower. My primary resident was next in line. Bless her heart, she is the sweetest little lady! So after giving my primary resident her shower, we needed to get checked off on vitals. I was EXTREMELY nervous to do blood pressure (BP). I must have been second guessing myself because I was thinking I could never hear the first (systolic) beat. I could always hear the last (diastolic) beat. Anyways, we had to get checked off on that today. I saw some of the class struggling to get checked off on their vitals. I was really worried since BP was my main struggle. All of the other vitals are simple. I found a resident that I had gotten to know pretty well and did the vitals on her. I went to her room to visit her and asked if I could practice counting her pulse and respiration rate before I officially got checked off. She is so sweet and patient that she didn't mind at all. So finally I got my instructor to observe me taking the vitals. I got the pulse and respiration rate perfect. Yay, but what about the BP. I was so stressed knowing for one that I was being observed and also knowing that I may have to do it over and over before getting it right. After taking the BP, I gave my instructor the results and I did that perfect also. Apparently word got around because so many people from our class were saying congratulations and that they were jealous! I was so happy. Sounds so tiny, but it was a very big deal to me. My team knew that BP was stressing me out so the congratulations made me feel really good. I was just glad that I actually got it right for once so that when I have the State exam, hopefully I'll get it right.
So the day moved on and I did a resident's nails. It was the same resident that allowed me to take her vitals. We talked and talked. She is such a sweet lady and I'm going to miss her smile! She was always in a good mood, always smiling, always singing! She was a very easy person to talk to. When I was doing her nails, she talked about her children and talked about a loss she had went through. I knew there was something I was drawn to about her but didn't really know what it was. We talked about my losses a little but I more wanted to hear her stories about growing up. She would talk about how she use to pick cotton and how her sister would aggravate her. She said that you didn't back talk back then but she would think it, it just wouldn't come out of her mouth. I could sit and listen to stories like this all day long. It is just interesting to see where others come from and to hear them talk about silly stories about their childhood. She has a large family and is much like me in that she wanted a large family. I was telling her that today was our last day there and she said that she was really going to miss us. I got to know several of the residents pretty well. One of the guys there gave me a high five today and asked about my husband. He was actually the first shower that I gave. Most of the residents just want to sit and talk and for someone to just listen.
So after all was done, we got out of there pretty early. We got our certificates of class completion. I am an official Nurse's Aide, which is at the bottom of the food chain, but it is a requirement and I'm glad that it is. I learned so much, had so much fun, and met some wonderful people. As we were presented w/ our certificates, we had to take off our apron thingie (I'm drawing a blank and can't think of what it's called) and turn it in. We cheered each other on and some got emotional. Then we took a class picture. Then it was time to say our goodbyes. I went to a residents room and told her goodbye! I sat on her bed really quickly but I could feel that I was going to cry at any given moment. I gave her a hug and said that I enjoyed being there and getting to know them. As I left her room, I could feel the tears on the inside of my eyelids. I knew I was going to break at any given moment. I actually couldn't even tell my primary resident goodbye. That bothered me the most. There were several others that I wanted to say goodbye to but couldn't because I had gotten to know them so well that it made me sad leaving. So I sucked it up and hurried out to my car. The class was all leaving about the same time and was going to meet at TGI Fridays for a drink. I decided to go on home since my mom had picked up Tommy today.
Then, later I went to a really good friends house for a jewelry party. I didn't stay too long since I had plans on going out to eat to celebrate my certificate. I spent some well needed QT w/ my family. Tomorrow, I'm going to fish fry and I'm hoping to see a good friend of mine. She invited us but not sure if we will show up at the same time. We're gonna try. Then tomorrow night I'm going on a date night w/ my husband and another couple. We had a lot of fun the last time we all hung out. I know tomorrow night will be a blast. Next weekend I have a Halloween party to go to and then the next weekend is Halloween. Then I have a party early Nov. w/ the CNA class and then time for my girl Ali. Ali and I have been trying to do something now for a while. We both have been so busy that it's been hard to plan anything. I have a feeling that things have no plans on slowing down anytime soon. I enjoy staying busy but this time of year, it can be a little overwhelming.
Anyways, today has been a really good day, of course bittersweet, but a good day. I may go visit one of my closest friends in the class tomorrow. She does her clinical on Saturdays. I may have to pop in for a visit and maybe then I can officially tell the residents goodbye without crying. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment